Reliance Power Ltd.
An Electrical Engineer from IET, Lucknow and PGDM from IIM, Lucknow (Noida Campus) with vast experience in commercial, regulatory, policy, legal and financial aspects of the power sector
Industry in Focus
The power sector provides a wide range of opportunities across different levels of skills and aptitudes. While unskilled workers are primarily engaged in construction, the requirement for skilled workers includes engineers and managers apart from support functional staff. In addition to the technical manpower, thousands of highly skilled managers are required in areas such as planning, project management, project finance, marketing, contracting, project monitoring and review.
Moreover, with increasing focus on renewable energy, there is an opportunity to productively engage lakhs of people in harnessing small hydro, bio-fuels, solar and wind resources. Other areas like energy efficiency, demand side management and power trading also require manpower with specialized training.
Business Development / Corporate Planning / Strategy
The qualifications preferred for this profile are Engineering (Electrical / Mechanical) and MBA (Finance). Generally a fresher from a reputed B-School is inducted at the position of Assistant Manager. Depending on the number of years of experience a person may be offered a higher designation.
Typical career path is:
Assistant Manager -> Manager -> Senior Manager -> Deputy General Manager -> General Manager -> Assistant Vice President -> Additional Vice President -> Vice President -> Senior Vice President
- Identifying and evaluating new business development opportunities and pursuing the same.
- Ability to discern projects based on their strategic importance for the company's business needs, expected returns from the project and other typical parameters.
- Evaluating the project structure, project contracts and a thorough understanding of financial models and financial analysis.
- Ability to engage in discussions and negotiations on various project contracts including Power Purchase Agreements, Fuel Supply Agreements, etc.
- Ability to identify right joint venture partners and carry out discussions with them on terms of participation including shareholders agreement.
- An understanding of the principles of business valuation, basic economics and basic accounting principles.
- Interaction with senior government and private sector officials, developing and maintaining the relations.
- Good understanding of project development and management related work typically till financial close.
- Ability to extract support and coordinate the technical, legal, commercial and financial due diligence.
- Understanding of the basic legal and contractual concepts and ability to work closely with legal teams on various contractual matters.
- Preparation of concept note, business plan for various opportunities and presenting it to the management for investment approval.
- Project coordination and working in cross functional teams.
B.Tech (Electrical / Mechanical) and MBA (Finance)
Good Institutes To Study At
MBA in Finance from the top tier institutes like IIMs, XLRI, NMIMS, FMS, SP Jain, etc. and an Engineering degree from IITs or RECs or other reputed engineering colleges.
- Excellent analytical and negotiation skills
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong belief in sound ethics and business values
- Exceptional team playing skills
- A motivated and proactive approach
- Outstanding planning and execution
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Execution and not just administration abilities
Average Salary Range
The candidates are generally recruited from reputed B-Schools through campus interviews that also includes lateral placement. Sometimes direct recruitment is also done based on the business requirements. The compensation package depends on the reputation of the institute and experience.
Average Annual Salary in rupees - lakhs per annum
Fresher* / Junior Management
12 to 15
15 to 30
30 to 50
8 to 10
10 to 20
20 to 35
*Additional top-up of Rs. 0.5 to 1 lakh is given for every year of experience, depending on the reputation of institute
Good understanding of technical, commercial and financial issues with excellent interpersonal and communication skills are the key ingredients to fast track one's career path.
Disclaimer: Views expressed by the author are personal